Music Talk Board
Musical Pet Peeves - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Music Discussion (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-15.html)
+--- Forum: Music Talk (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: Musical Pet Peeves (/thread-624.html)

Pages: 1 2

Musical Pet Peeves - Grungie - 10-10-2016

I've been thinking about this lately, are there any aspects of songs you hear that you really dislike?

One thing that kind of annoys me is when a song takes forever to end. Unless I'm listening to the entire album I hardly ever have the motivation to finish a song when the ending is just this repeated melody that just drags on and on. It's one thing to actually have a seven minute song that "actually" is seven mins long, but to have a song like Hey Jude or Oasis's All Around The World drag the "nah nah nah" thing for two+ mins is kind of pushing it.

I know some songs don't actually "end", but just fade out, but it seems like these songs forget to have it fade out.

RE: Musical Pet Peeves - JCizzle - 10-11-2016

I agree.

My musical pet peeve is the I-V-vi-IV progression. Fuck that noise.

RE: Musical Pet Peeves - Grungie - 10-11-2016

Lol, just because it's overused?

RE: Musical Pet Peeves - Hank Hill - 10-13-2016

If it takes forever to end, it takes me a while to get used to it, but I can get used to it.

For me, it's mostly when one part of a song is really catchy but then they go off into a completely different beat/rhythm that doesn't match up. Stuff like this (it also drags on like all hell for a minute):

There's definitely some good stuff in it (especially the part at 2:58 ), but the way it keeps switching turns me off.
Great band nonetheless.

RE: Musical Pet Peeves - JCizzle - 10-13-2016

(10-11-2016, 05:04 AM)Grungie Wrote: Lol, just because it's overused?
Pretty much, lol. There are exceptions, but every time I hear that progression I go "don't go to V! Don't go to... okay don't go to vi! Don't-- okay DO NOT GO TO IV!! WHATEVER YOU DO--- god dammit."

RE: Musical Pet Peeves - Grungie - 10-13-2016

Lol, I'm kind of glad I don't care to really learn theory, because I'm afraid I'll turn into a music theory elitist when it comes to music. Though I doubt I'll ever become this guy I knew in college who said "Country music is terrible because it only incorporates 4/4 time". Really? Of all criticisms you could pick, you pick time signatures?

This is based on my lack of understanding of Prog, but I do dislike that there are some songs with segments or riffs that sound really forced in being an odd meter. While the actual meter in this example is exaggerated, it does kind of irk me when I hear a prog song that has a nice flow, and then they throw in some seemingly random lick in 17/8 time that kind of throws it off. It does kind of feel like that riff was written for the sake of having a riff in 17/8 time. I can't think of an actual example, but it does kind of feel like it threw that song off. Idk if that's what's supposed to happen.

While I do love songs from Tim Kinsella, there are a couple of his songs where the guitar riff does seem a bit too obtuse to where the drummer has trouble keeping time. I can probably see his drummer of the week go "uh... what the hell am I supposed to do?" or "what meter am I supposed to be in?" While I do like , the drumming in that first riff imo feels kind of forced. That's kind of why I give more props to the overall songwriting in the second Owls album. As it still keeps the odd meter riffs that Tim's famous for, but they wrote songs to where the bassist and drummer can actually write a groove, instead of Tim and the guitarist going apeshit and the rhythm section is going "uh... yeah, about that".

RE: Musical Pet Peeves - JCizzle - 10-14-2016

I getcha. I almost make it a rule to only put time signatures that flow well, whether they be standard or exotic.

RE: Musical Pet Peeves - Fullmoon - 05-08-2017

I'm pretty open to most music and sounds, but one thing that really gets on my wick is when some bands don't seem to the the mix right on some songs on an album, but then it's perfectly fine on other songs.

Ohhh and drum machines. Once you've heard it, you can't in hear it! :/

RE: Musical Pet Peeves - Grungie - 05-08-2017

Regarding drum machines, it depends on the genre. A traditional rock/metal song it's kind of weird.

RE: Musical Pet Peeves - Fullmoon - 05-09-2017

I mostly hear it in Extreme Metal