Music Talk Board
Fantasy & Sci-Fi Book Thread - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Forum (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-48.html)
+--- Thread: Fantasy & Sci-Fi Book Thread (/thread-472.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Fantasy & Sci-Fi Book Thread - crazysam23 - 06-22-2014

Also, feel free to include any webcomics, comics, novellas, short stories, etc.

So, I'm a big fan of several fantasy and sci-fi authors. My favorite authors would have to be (in no particular order) Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, Iain M. Banks, Glen Cook, Isaac Asimov, Steven Erikson, Terry Pratchet, Jim Butcher, Brent Weeks, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks, and Frank Herbert.

FFM and I were discussing the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson, which is what prompted this thread.

So...discuss!

RE: Fantasy & Sci-Fi Book Thread - Fantasyfanman - 06-22-2014

I am currently reading The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. I believe I am around page 70. I am definetly liking the sereis!

Alloy of Law takes place 300 years after Vin and Elend's story right?

RE: Fantasy & Sci-Fi Book Thread - crazysam23 - 06-22-2014

It does, yes. It has more of a "Steampunk" flavor (although, there's not a ton of emphasis on gadgets or anything) than Vin and Elend's tale. Also, it's a detective story, really. Definitely a great continuation, but a few things work slightly differently (magically) and technology has progressed more.

RE: Fantasy & Sci-Fi Book Thread - Fantasyfanman - 06-22-2014

Is he going to make another trilogy in that era?

RE: Fantasy & Sci-Fi Book Thread - crazysam23 - 06-22-2014

Well...according to wikipedia, the Vin and Elend trilogy is the 1st in a "trilogy of trilogies". That said, Alloy of Law (and its planned sequel, coming in late 2014/early 2015) are not part of a 2nd trilogy but rather standalone novels.

Edit:
Sidenote...apparently, there's going to be a Mistborn video game. Who knows if it'll be any good?...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistborn:_Birthright

RE: Fantasy & Sci-Fi Book Thread - Mr Maps - 06-22-2014

I love Terry Pratchett. I hope to one day collect the entire Discworld collection. I also like Douglas Adams' humour, which is similar to Pratchett's, I find his narrative to be bit... Substanceless? Like Hitchhikers is kinda just a set of jokes hinged on a weak story line. Damn good jokes mind you.
My English tutor recommended me Ian Banks, but I still haven't got round to reading any of his works. A Clockwork Orange is one of my favourite novels. Not sure if it's strictly sci fi, but it's still great and I would recommend it. I started reading Brave New World, but had to drop it for my set texts for my English, and I never finished it.

RE: Fantasy & Sci-Fi Book Thread - crazysam23 - 06-23-2014

(06-22-2014, 09:10 PM)Mr Maps Wrote: My English tutor recommended me Ian Banks, but I still haven't got round to reading any of his works.
I've just started on his Culture series. It's got a different flavor to it than most Sci-Fi, but it's interesting.

RE: Fantasy & Sci-Fi Book Thread - wwf - 06-23-2014

I've read hella Michael Chrichton books. Like damn near all of them.

Other than that I like Mark Danielewski, Stephen King, and Joseph Heller (just for Catch 22, which is my all time favorite).

I used to read lots of books but now I really don't, which is kinda a shame.

RE: Fantasy & Sci-Fi Book Thread - Fantasyfanman - 06-23-2014

I read a hundred more pages today. They sure are turning Spook into a quite interesting character.

RE: Fantasy & Sci-Fi Book Thread - crazysam23 - 06-23-2014

(06-23-2014, 04:33 AM)FantasyFanMan Wrote: I read a hundred more pages today. They sure are turning Spook into a quite interesting character.
Yeah, he's grown up a lot. For one, he's actually understandable now. lol

Vin stops being so...emo too. She embraces who she is, rather than fearing it will separate her from Elend.

Anyone else read John Carter of Mars? It's basically a sci-fi/fantasy mix. Very good stuff, even if the tone is a bit dated.