Music Talk Board
Downtuning My Bass (Possible Issues) - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Instrument Talk (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Bass Forum (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Downtuning My Bass (Possible Issues) (/thread-224.html)

Pages: 1 2

Downtuning My Bass (Possible Issues) - crazysam23 - 04-25-2013

Hey, all, I'll preface this by that I'm a guitar player who picked up bass within the last year. I know that I am at the bottom of the rung here. I do feel like I'm getting it though.

I own a Peavey Forum bass (same color and set up as the one below), btw.
[Image: l.jpg]

Anyway, I typically tune my guitar to D standard (DGCFAD). I recently put heavier strings on my bass guitar and had a tech re-set up my bass. (When I first put the strings on, the neck was bowed, and I couldn't turn the truss rod anyway [it was as tight as it goes]. So, rushed it over to my local music store asap.) Peavey Forum basses have a nice feature, where you can adjust a hex screw down where the neck meets the body. This "rocks" the necks towards or away from the strings. So, the tech adjusted it so that the neck was "rocked" towards the strings and did some things to straighten out the neck.

So, what I would like to do is down-tune my bass guitar to D standard (DGCF). Would I simply be able to rock the neck toward or away from the strings to compensate for the decreased string tension, without causing the neck to warp over time? I'd prefer to not have to adjust the truss rod.

What are my options here, guys?

RE: Downtuning My Bass (Possible Issues) - Adam - 04-26-2013

Tbh my cousin is a tech and he says most Peaveys with that hex screw that come to him have problems because people who didn't know what they're doing messed with it.

So either read about it until you're certain you know what you're doing, or go again to a tech and ask to explain it to you Confusedhrug:

Edit: oh, 5 guitars? 8)

RE: Downtuning My Bass (Possible Issues) - Grungie - 04-26-2013

I thought the hex screw was the truss rod, or does that bass have a separate spot for the truss rod?

The truss rod is accessible through the headstock i think, the hex screw is a different thing though

RE: Downtuning My Bass (Possible Issues) - Grungie - 04-26-2013

ok wasn't sure

RE: Downtuning My Bass (Possible Issues) - crazysam23 - 04-26-2013

(04-26-2013, 11:52 AM)Adam Wrote: Tbh my cousin is a tech and he says most Peaveys with that hex screw that come to him have problems because people who didn't know what they're doing messed with it.

So either read about it until you're certain you know what you're doing, or go again to a tech and ask to explain it to you Confusedhrug:
Will do. Thanks.

RE: Downtuning My Bass (Possible Issues) - crazysam23 - 04-26-2013

I decided to bite the bullet and call up guitar tech who fixed my guitar before. I'd been hesitant to do that, because I was going, "It'll cost like $100. Ugh..." But I finally did call, and the tech's like, "Yeah, you wouldn't even have to change string gauge. Just tune it down, and I'll adjust the truss rod on the spot. It should be a lot easier to play even". Basically, this means it'll cost less than $20 to downtune to Dstandard. Big Grin

Noice

RE: Downtuning My Bass (Possible Issues) - debbie - 05-14-2013

I picked up an interesting anomaly yesterday when I donwtuned my one bass. I downtuned from E to D. I noticed that I sound out of tune when I play so I saw that it only sounds right if I drop a fret. For some reason, open string is D, but the first fret is E, not D#. Can someone please explain this to me? I have flat wound string on, could that perhaps be the reason?

RE: Downtuning My Bass (Possible Issues) - Adam - 05-14-2013

Sounds like the intonation is messed up, it could be either the bridge that needs adjusting or perhaps the truss rod