Music Talk Board
The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! (/thread-127.html)

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 04-02-2014

I feel your pain, I finish one song every 6 months or so, and its sad I'll work on parts of a song for ages and never finish, but then the songs I finish and record, I shit it out in 20 mins. It's like "where was this before"

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - JCizzle - 04-02-2014

Me and a colleague have plans to play a song (if anything, just for fun; I'll be lucky if it even gets to that point) I wrote together in a band but fuck, we're both busy like Hugh Hefner's balls and we haven't even begun practicing since I've given her sheetmusic for it a few weeks ago.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Danjo - 04-02-2014

It sounds like you might be overthinking it a bit Joel. Not that I'm really any more productive with songwriting, but my problem is mainly that I don't spend enough time on it.

When I was at my best last year I just got really good at improv, and then every time I sat down to play guitar I would try to come up with a new riff/lick. I couldn't always come up with other parts to make a whole song, but I did get quite a few out. I just need to get back to that point, and get better at writing lyrics.

I feel like I have a knack for lyrics, but mine always wind up sounding cynical and polemic, and I just want them to be more laid-back and neutral (not that there's anything wrong with having some polemic lyrics). I feel like I don't even have the free will to exercise that.

I definitely overthink my songs. I always have this feeling that it's too boring and lazy to do the standard pop song structure, and I always feel it'll be criticized because of that, though in the end I shit out a much simpler song and it gets praised.

The cycle just continues, so I just need to stop thinking too much and just stick to the simple song structure I feel is good.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Danjo - 04-02-2014

Try writing lyrics in a different style? I always had trouble with my lyrics sounding whiny, but then writing a few songs in more of a rap-reggae influenced way I've gotten better.

Its hard to do shit though. It just kinda has to happen, at least for me.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - crazysam23 - 04-02-2014

My lyrics always sound like typical metal lyrics. lol

Which I guess fits most of my music. And I do try to get double (or even triple) meanings in my lyrics. But I also feel like there's a lot of times where I'm not very subtle.

I try thinking melodious, art-pop a la ELO meets heavy blues rock a la Led Zeppelin or Badlands. Not really obvious :/

I just noticed Joel added a lot more to his rant post

lel