Music Talk Board
The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! (/thread-127.html)

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - crazysam23 - 03-16-2014

(03-15-2014, 06:05 PM)Grungie Wrote: I swear Windows 7 took longer than 38 seconds to start up, or maybe my computer just sucked. Idk, though 11 seconds does seem pretty noticeable. Though that article says it's longer than 11 seconds.
11 second difference. 38-17=21 though. My bad. lol

You have to keep in mind that these are average start times on computers that tend to be high end, though. And, actually, no one is going to notice that. They may think they will, but in reality...when you're waiting for a computer to start up...

It could take 5 seconds, and just about everyone would be going, "Why the hell is it taking so long?" A 21 second difference is not that huge. If it was 1 minute+ vs. 17 seconds, then the guy would have a point. However, most people are never going to find that it only takes 17 seconds for their Windows 8 PC to start up. Why? Because most people don't have end computers. Most people have laptops with 4GB of RAM and a processor that isn't that great. Their computer will probably take between 30seconds and 1minute to start up, regardless of OS. Confusedhrug:

Also, that was like the only stat that most people would even care about. As I asked my non-computer friend though:

"Does an 11 second startup time difference matter to you? I get the impression that ease of usability is more important to you. Am I right?"

Most people care mostly about ease of usability. And Windows 8 is really well-designed -- FOR PEOPLE WITH TOUCHSCREENS. The rest of us have an app screen that isn't designed for our mouse/touchpad. And the "gestures" thing is a band-aid fix. It's not even that I hate Windows 8. It's a good system, actually (now that the 8.1 patch fixed a lot of dumb things that should have been fixed before the public release). But people who act like it's 100% better than 7 are overestimating it.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 03-16-2014

Idk what you're measuring but my computer takes about 17 seconds to start up and I have 4GB ram, and I highly doubt my processor is even that impressive Confusedhrug:

(03-16-2014, 04:59 AM)Grungie Wrote: Idk what you're measuring but my computer takes about 17 seconds to start up and I have 4GB ram, and I highly doubt my processor is even that impressive Confusedhrug:
I'm measuring it by people who have bad computer habits and don't keep their PCs as clean as they should, lol. Trust me, I hear about or see it all the time. Sometimes, I'm even the poor fucker who has to fix it.

Question: Your PC, is it Windows 7 or 8? Since we're on the topic anyway...

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Danjo - 03-16-2014

I don't shut down my computer unless its being weird and I feel the need to restart it, so startup time is like the least important computer stat to me. Honestly, I've never even had an issue with speed. The only time I've run into an issue with computer specs is programming and not having enough memory to do certain computations.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 03-16-2014

(03-16-2014, 05:39 AM)crazysam23 Wrote: I'm measuring it by people who have bad computer habits and don't keep their PCs as clean as they should, lol. Trust me, I hear about or see it all the time. Sometimes, I'm even the poor fucker who has to fix it.

I have 8.1

(03-16-2014, 06:10 AM)Grungie Wrote:
(03-16-2014, 05:39 AM)crazysam23 Wrote: I'm measuring it by people who have bad computer habits and don't keep their PCs as clean as they should, lol. Trust me, I hear about or see it all the time. Sometimes, I'm even the poor fucker who has to fix it.

I have 8.1
Ok. Cool.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 03-17-2014

You know, I really dislike people who think they're either above rules, or think they're allowed to do whatever they want just because they're paying for some service.

So this guy has a premium account on Crunchyroll and he's a member of the forum, he says a moderator threatened to ban him because he kept mentioning grey area sites for anime and his comment was "is this how they treat a paying customer?", until you realize that it's the first thing listed on their rules. So I side with the moderator rather than this guy, as when he signed up on the forum, he's obliged to follow the forum's rules, and he should suffer the consequences of breaking the rules.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - JCizzle - 03-17-2014

Obviously.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 03-17-2014

Well on something on the same topic, but more relate-able, I hated those kids in the dorms who were loud and obnoxious, and get pissed when the RA's tell them to quiet down or tell them to stop bothering the others, they get pissy and say "well I paid for these dorms, I can do whatever I want"

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - JCizzle - 03-17-2014

I know exactly what you mean -_-