Music Talk Board
The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! (/thread-127.html)

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 07-24-2013

As much as I bitch about people being idiots on UG, at least some of them are at least intelligent enough to where they have an opinion over something, they keep consistent with it instead of having an opinion with little to no thought over it

I'm experiencing this on another forum, sad I've been there for a year and now they're just getting on my nerves.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - carlcockatoo - 07-24-2013

I'll admit I come off as a complete idiot on the internet. I tend to half-explain things in a rush, caring little about grammar, spelling, overall presentation, consistency, the amount of logic displayed, how mature I appear, etc. It's something I need to work on. When I'm writing an essay, explaining something in real life, etc. I imagine I seem way more intelligent than I do on the internet. Of course, that doesn't mean I haven't had my fair share of stupid things said in real life, or the occasional bad paper.

Sometimes I'll post about a topic I don't know too much about, but hopefully people realise I'm self aware of it and am willing to change my opinion when they explain things to me.

I also tend to treat the internet more as 'casual conversation' than debate, which is probably bad.

Edit: Thought this was the chat thread, I was just talking, not complaining about anything. That is bad, Bob. I can relate. My mom has been unemployed for over a year (I think she recently found part time work though) and I haven't seen anybody all summer either. Today was my school registration and I realised I have gone from a social person (I have always been a bit timid, but can open up to be people, and used to be capable of just going to places by myself and meeting new people) to a complete introvert. It is difficult to relate to normal people now. What we both need to do is not fuck up this last year of high school. I also decided to keep writing in my 'diary' in case any of you were wondering if I continued that trend after my embarrassing post. It is very relaxing, helps you make better decisions, inspires you to live a less mundane life, improves organisation skills, and could possibly immortalise you. I highly recommend it. Smile

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - JCizzle - 07-24-2013

(07-24-2013, 03:14 AM)BobSacamano Wrote: My dad just lost his job and I haven't seen anybody in weeks. I was supposed to like 5 times recently but everyone cancelled on me. Everything is really screwed up and I'm sad. This is hardly the summer I was hoping for. =/
Ouch, that is rough :\

(07-24-2013, 07:10 AM)carlcockatoo Wrote: Sometimes I'll post about a topic I don't know too much about, but hopefully people realise I'm self aware of it and am willing to change my opinion when they explain things to me.
I don't usually talk about topics I'm not really educated about, but I often bitch to myself in private about some of them, notably libertarians, especially anarchists. Oh god, $#^@!*ing anarchists. Either they're under the age of 24, are into punk rock (the music isn't the problem, it's the message), or both. How in the world can I take that seriously? Someone who is still incredibly angsty and follows in the footsteps of someone because they like their music (or listens to punk rock simply because of the message)?

Anarchist logic: "I think for myself because someone told me to". It's funny how a lot of them sound a lot more like the "sheeple" they bitch and complain about than a counterculture.

Plus, they already lose all credibility so easily. With anarchy, we'll be free to do whatever we want, especially since we're against coercion and brute force and general infringement of other people's rights. Let's show people our philosophy by trying to take down the government by brute force, violent rioting, vandalism, and just generally being the exact opposite of what we claim to be and want.

It's not as much anarchism as it is the anarchists themselves that really get on my nerves.

/anarchy rant; commence general libertarianism rant

I'm not educated in political philosophy, but I see absolutely nothing ethical about libertarianism, at least for the time being and how human nature is currently, as well as the logic of libertarians. I mean, how in the world is a government necessarily evil and that the lack of it would result in less crime? Above all, libertarians speak about being able to do literally anything you want as long as it doesn't infringe on other people's rights, which in practice (not in theory), contradicts itself and completely neglects social issues (can anyone say abortion? Secondhand smoke? Gambling? Prison?).

Many, MANY libertarians (if not the majority) I've talked to are either incredibly arrogant (Ayn Rand fans are the absolute WORST), incredibly immoral (some anarchists that require a lobotomy have told me that justice would be entirely comprised of vigilantism; no police force. If you kill your neighbor, his family would kill you and justice would be served), or aren't even libertarians at all, who will say "yeah, in the end I hope we won't require a government, but as of now, society is too stupid to work out without somebody holding it by its hand" (I'm pretty sure Obscene told me this). If human nature was ideal, I think we'd live in an anarchy; not because the government is evil, but because then and only then would it be unnecessary. But hey, in an ideal world, fascism would work as well. I am aware that literally any political model works IN THEORY, including the extremes of anarchy and fascism.

I am however, largely uneducated on politics, like I've said, and recognize that I've said many uneducated things in the past on the internet and I cannot overgeneralize, so I am aware that there are likely many libertarians that don't sound at all like a complete joke, but I haven't met many, if any at all. I am aware there are libertarian scholars out there.

(also I went off on a bit of a rant, sorry lol)

(07-24-2013, 07:10 AM)carlcockatoo Wrote: I also decided to keep writing in my 'diary' in case any of you were wondering if I continued that trend after my embarrassing post. It is very relaxing, helps you make better decisions, inspires you to live a less mundane life, improves organisation skills, and could possibly immortalise you. I highly recommend it. Smile
I can see where you're coming from. It's considerable.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 07-24-2013

(07-24-2013, 07:10 AM)carlcockatoo Wrote: Sometimes I'll post about a topic I don't know too much about, but hopefully people realise I'm self aware of it and am willing to change my opinion when they explain things to me.

My problem is when they aren't willing to change. Though what I really rage about is when they throw around their opinion as fact, but deny that's what they're doing.

Or worse, discuss a topic they have little knowledge about, say things that are completely wrong about it, but throw around "it's my opinion" like saying it's their opinion prevents it from being wrong. I see a big difference in having an opinion that differs from something from saying something completely false. It's not even like passing a generalization as fact, it's just straight up false.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 07-27-2013

Dildos

that is all

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 07-27-2013

God, this dipshit on another forum is pretending to be intelligent by posting long paragraph posts, though if you skim through his shit, he really said nothing relevant, or if he did, he could have said it in one or two sentences.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - JCizzle - 07-27-2013

> Getting mad at online debaters

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - EnforcedNo - 07-28-2013

>greentexting without green text

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 07-28-2013

>greentexting

@Wolfy, it wasn't even a debate.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - crazysam23 - 07-28-2013

(07-27-2013, 10:12 PM)Grungie Wrote: God, this dipshit on another forum is pretending to be intelligent by posting long paragraph posts, though if you skim through his shit, he really said nothing relevant, or if he did, he could have said it in one or two sentences.
I demolish those kind of guys with something that shows them up as not "all that smart".