Music Talk Board
The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! (/thread-127.html)

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - JCizzle - 03-19-2016

I'm in total agreement with you. But, the adage popularized by Blade Runner still holds true; a flame that burns twice as bright burns out twice as fast. The reason Miles Davis is synonymous to jazz isn't because he was commercial (from a popular music standpoint, at least), but because he continuously reinvented himself and the umbrella genre of jazz, and contributed to damn near every style within it, from Cool/West-Coast jazz to modal jazz to free jazz to fusion to jazz rap. He stayed relevant until the last day of his life, and remains so.

In fact, I believe so strongly in the aforementioned adage because of cases like this. Bach was practically unknown during his lifetime, and today he is considered one of the most important and brilliant musicians in all of history, with some musicologists and aficionados arguing that he could have invented jazz with the theory he advanced (such as his use tritone substitutions, extensive use of the ii-V-I, exotic scales and their modes, bizarre and unconventional time signatures, improvisation, etc.). Whether you enjoy his works (which many classical musicians do not, which isn't all that surprising due to his distinct style), you cannot deny he was centuries ahead of his time.

Davis also worked with well-established musicians (John Coltrane, Charlie Parker) and he helped others get into the industry (Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock), which is always good for one's reputation, too. It's probably the reason why Michael Jackson managed to stay so relevant for such a long time, due to working with Quincy Jones (who is responsible for many popular artists' continued success).

Finally, there are some artists who can afford to take musical risks. Sting, Peter Gabriel, and even, to a certain extent, Bruno Mars (if we're talking a more modern artist) all show influence from previous generations, niche or no longer mainstream genres as well as world music in often creative ways. People don't know what they want until it is given to them, which is why Sting could get away with radio hits in 7/4, 5/4 and 9/8 times. Hell, Lady Gaga got away with making a swing album with Tony Bennett (and it's fuggen schweet), so I'm sure she could release a prog metal concept album if she wanted to and it would sell like hotcakes during the Great Leap Forward.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Skyward - 04-15-2016

Man, working in fast food, I could write a freakin' novel here. I'll give you some highlights.

We're not allowed to just hand out sauce packets. We have various varieties of sauces, and if a customer asked for some sauce, you have to ask how many they want (or suggest a number). This customer came in, ordered his food, and said he wanted four packed of two different types of sauce per item. The issue here was this, he had fourteen items, times four is fifty-six, times two is a hundred and twelve. I made sure the customer knew this, and then stood there and counted out all of those freaking packets, making sure he had four per item.

There was also a customer that came in, and was angry to prior ordering, and then ordered a burrito without meat, without sauce, without lettuce, without rice, without beans. We made sure she knew this would be a cheese only burrito, and double checked she wanted I believe it was six of them. After she raised her voice when I checked, when she pulled up to the window and I went to bag her food, the other person working drive through (taking orders, but I guess she wasn't busy at the time) triple checked with her, and that's when the actual yelling started. Needless to say we tried to get her out as quickly as possible.

Then a fist fight almost broke out into the lobby once, but there's not much to say about that. Dude stormed in and threatened to bash another dude's face in for what he said. I believe his exact words were "Fuck you man, if you keep talkin' that shit behind my back I swear to god I will bash your fuckin' skull in. If you think you can take me, let's go outside right fucking now and do this." No fight actually broke out.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 04-15-2016

Do you work at Taco Bell?

(04-15-2016, 05:22 AM)Grungie Wrote: Do you work at Taco Bell?

I do.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - JCizzle - 04-15-2016

:haha:

Here's one, a Latino lady I work with, as one of our mangers walked by, looked at me and said "Ella es loco si? Comprende?" (She's crazy yeah? You understand?) and proceeds to bust up laughing.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 04-16-2016

How's that a rant?

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Skyward - 04-16-2016

(04-16-2016, 08:04 AM)Grungie Wrote: How's that a rant?

I realized that, that's why I created a work stories thread.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - crazysam23 - 04-21-2016

(04-15-2016, 11:43 PM)Skyward Wrote: Here's one, a Latino lady I work with, as one of our mangers walked by, looked at me and said "Ella es loco si? Comprende?" (She's crazy yeah? You understand?) and proceeds to bust up laughing.
Um, ok...

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - 45rpm - 11-23-2017

(05-20-2015, 05:58 PM)JCizzle Wrote: I've been underweight all my life.

Hell I've been in college for two (technically four) years and the Freshman 15 is more like a Freshman 0.5 for me.

There is a lot of prejudice against the underweight, but everybody always talks about fat shaming.