Music Talk Board
The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! (/thread-127.html)

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - peternorthstars - 09-09-2014

(09-07-2014, 11:42 PM)T00DEEPBLUE Wrote: I didn't mean to respond so late to this either.
(08-31-2014, 07:34 PM)JoelCarli Wrote: In a way, it's cool of you wanting to be a martyr for the sake of other people (not that I want you to suffer either). However, I'm a firm believer that sometimes, it's absolutely essential to suffer for certain things. You don't have to make money off of what you love, and you said it yourself, John doesn't care either if he winds up on the streets in order to do what he loves. Jaco Pastorius is one of the most famous jazz bassists that ever lived, and he went through drug abuse, slept in parks because he was coked up and had no money to pay for rent and was killed after initiating a bar room brawl with a bouncer. But, in return, he did what he loved and earned a legacy for it. He could have chosen anything else -- that's to his discretion.

You said John inspires you. Follow his philosophy of doing what you love, not something that necessarily gives you money (unless you rationalize that in the long run, it's probably better for you -- it could be that having a lot of money will allow you to have a basement studio, making it easier for you to produce music. This is where caution is probably more important).

Do I sometimes wish we could all just be happy and not suffer? Dang right, I do, but that's just not the world we live in. We do get a good tradeoff, however. Many shit tunnels lead to El Dorado. Not many people realize this, myself included to a certain extent, but I've rationalized it enough to assume it as absolutely plausible and probable.

You should also begin with baby steps. Instead of saying "I want to make music for a living" (or whatever) start with something minor -- even if it's not exactly what you want or if it's something you're not really interested in. Make a strategic move rather than a convenient one. Speaking about producing music, maybe you can learn about studio production (which actually can make you quite some money professionally) and produce the debut album of one of your friend's bands or something (if not, put an ad in the paper). It'll give you credit and as a result, royalties. That's what I'm doing in my part time; I'm producing an acoustic comedy duo my friends are in, which means I'll be getting a portion of their cash if ever they make it big (which is likely considering how many people call them for gigs). Yet, I care mostly about the credit and the contact I have with them. These are already incredibly helpful to an aspiring professional musician because it puts said musician into the industry in some way or another. You already have a foot in the doorway, is what I'm saying.

Just giving out ideas. If you weren't referring to making music as being your passion, then this advice can be extrapolated to whatever you are interested in.
I'm glad you're at least getting something done for the sake of your career.

But I'm just not sure what I want to do as a career. I'm not sure if I would be interested enough in music to make a career out of it. Therapy is a cool thing to me though. But again, I don't know if I'll just get bored, or get myself into studying psychology and realize that it isn't for me, by which point it's too late to back out.

I'm jealous because John has found something he seems truly passionate for, and at such a young age. One were he has enough time to really invest in it. I just wish so badly that I could find something that would give me an epiphany, and it just hasn't happened. I'm scared that it never will.
I understand how you feel. I felt the same way from when I was 15 to about a year ago. Whenever I had to think about what I wanted to do in the future the lack of a real solid desire would make me a little anxious and that anxiety grew the older I got without knowing what I wanted.

A lot of the things I thought I would be good at and as a result would enjoy turned out to be things I hated. What you have to do is really just take some time to reflect on who you are and what you want to be. From there think about your interests and what fits into that desired future self. Then just get involved in it and see if it is for you.

It took me a year of pretty much complete social isolation from people my own age being miserable about having cancer before I really figured out what I wanted. What I would do is take the time until you can see a guidance person to really reflect and research. Then treat the conversation(s) as a way to take all of the thoughts going through your mind and come to a conclusion. If you don't like it you aren't going to suddenly be locked into that for 40 years. You just have to take that step and give it a chance.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - crazysam23 - 09-11-2014

Why is it that the UG EDM guys (at least, the vocal ones) are always such douchebags? You know how willT was starting shit in MT? Well, now snazz is starting shit. He doesn't even add to the conversation; he just muddies everything needlessly.

Like, in a thread about learning the notes of the fretboard, he piped up and argued about semantics. The dude doesn't even listen to guitar-based music! Wtf?!

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 09-11-2014

trololololol

lol, trolling MT is how will got banned. The mods there don't have patience for that kind of shit.

well I guess that's how Snazz is gonna get banned.

If he keeps this up, yeah.

K'Nuckles might join him. He just outright spams.

Speaking banning people, we had a fun fiasco with the 30 year old when he got his week long temporary ban, and it then got his ban extended to a perma-ban. He gave me some great "threats" on my profile on a another website. The funny thing is, these threats were just screenshots of us pretending to be him in the shoutbox, and he got pissed and took screenshots of them with "threatening" comments and posted them on his Google+ account. The funny thing for us, is that if you read our comments, you'd think we were just being a bunch of dumbasses :haha:

:haha: That's great!

[Image: 7x437VP.jpg]

[Image: bSUyyq4.jpg]

:haha:

It's the same shoutbox software we have, so oldest comments start on the bottom.

When you're banned for a week (and therefore already in the shitcan), why would you make it worse by sending those kind of pics? :haha:

The best part is, he was like, "Imma delete my threads", which makes it easy for you to go, "Ok, bye! *permaban*". :haha: