Music Talk Board
The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! (/thread-127.html)

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - crazysam23 - 08-16-2014

Well, ok. All that stuff in your list is fair and reasonable, imho.

On the whole, your parents feel rather strict to me. Not trying to judge them or anything, just...yeah. Are you going to live in the dorms at school? I'd recommend it, at least for a few semesters.

Just don't be that guy who starts going to parties and then flunks his tests because he's drunk, lol. From the interactions with you here, I doubt you'd be that guy though.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - carlcockatoo - 08-16-2014

I'm not going to be living in a dorm but since I'm going to community college. On the flip side I will be able to save tons of money (tuition and books combined is approx. $1,400 instead of over my entire income) once I start making some and I live in one of the cheapest cities for renting apartments, which is why I'm hoping to move out in the next three-four years or so. If I can't afford that (likely because tuition will get expensive starting third year) I could maybe live in a dorm then if it's even acceptable for 20-21 year olds to live in dorms. I want to move out for a variety of reasons, not just because of my parents, but obviously it's going to be a while.

What's weird about the whole things is they are not strict at all with other things (they don't really care what I do when I'm home as long as I'm meeting expectations). I also feel like I had more freedom when I was 16 than I am now. It wasn't always this bad.

By the way I don't do drinking or any of that. :p

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - JCizzle - 08-16-2014

(08-16-2014, 02:52 PM)carlcockatoo Wrote: By the way I don't do drinking or any of that. :p
:high five:

(08-16-2014, 02:52 PM)carlcockatoo Wrote: I'm not going to be living in a dorm but since I'm going to community college. On the flip side I will be able to save tons of money (tuition and books combined is approx. $1,400 instead of over my entire income) once I start making some and I live in one of the cheapest cities for renting apartments, which is why I'm hoping to move out in the next three-four years or so. If I can't afford that (likely because tuition will get expensive starting third year) I could maybe live in a dorm then if it's even acceptable for 20-21 year olds to live in dorms. I want to move out for a variety of reasons, not just because of my parents, but obviously it's going to be a while.
Sounds like a plan.

Quote:What's weird about the whole things is they are not strict at all with other things (they don't really care what I do when I'm home as long as I'm meeting expectations). I also feel like I had more freedom when I was 16 than I am now. It wasn't always this bad.
Maybe they realize you're "growing up", going to college and that causes them to subconsciously be more strict. Confusedhrug:

Quote:By the way I don't do drinking or any of that. :p
Well, you're not legal yet, so good! Smile

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 08-16-2014

Psssh, it's only illegal if you get caught Sam.

(08-16-2014, 04:08 PM)Grungie Wrote: Psssh, it's only illegal if you get caught Sam.
lel

This may sound silly, compared to Will's stuff, but...

It always bugs me when people spout off about things they know nothing about and are completely wrong. (The being wrong part doesn't bug me, really. Stick with me.) Then, when you correct them on it, they refuse to realize, "Oh, I guess I was wrong. Maybe I should learn something."

For instance, in the MT forum (on UG), there's been a lot of people in the past who have had wrongful conceptions of modes (for lots of reasons). Understandably, the MT regs (including me) want to make sure that stuff about modes is presented correctly and therefore we do our best to teach these folks the correct information. Lately, this one guy has been coming in and throwing around all kinds of misinformation. When I and one of MT mods called him on it, he went on this long rant about how "I've been hearing it used the way I described from various rock stars for the last 20 years".
Even assuming he has, the question is, "Did he understand it, when the rock stars mentioned this stuff?". Also, mentioning that doesn't make you right. It's just namedropping, in an effort to validate his position. The mod even tried to be nice and teach him a few things, which this guy promptly threw back in the mod's face. This guy even came in and tried to present his wrong information in a thread where I trying to help a different guy learn how diatonic chords and the use of certain scales interacted.

So...yeah, it bugs the hell out of me when people refuse to admit they are wrong and then actually learn something.

Biting the hand that feeds you is not even infuriating, it's just plain stupid. You're shooting yourself in the foot by doing that.

That's how I feel whenever I give a piece of advice to someone and they snap at me for not letting them live their lives the way they want.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - T00DEEPBLUE - 08-16-2014

I used to live in student accommodation when I was in my first year at uni, but I absolutely hated the people I was living with. They were obnoxious and would play music at ridiculous times, like 2am on a Sunday night.

There was this one time when I heard a glass smash outside my dorm, and I opened my door to see what was going on, and one of the assholes I was living with, threw a glass full of water at me, missed, and soaked my guitar with water. It turned out they were having a water fight in the hallway of our dorms, and apparently the walls got so wet, the ceilings of the dorms downstairs leaked. I was already on tenterhooks with their behavior at that point, but I was so pissed off with them soaking my guitar (They didn't do it intentionally, but that doesn't change the fact that they were still being retards throwing glasses at one another) that I left that group and lived somewhere else the next day.

TL;DR: How much you'll enjoy college accommodation really depends on who you're living with. In my case, I should've just stayed home and saved myself a couple thousand pounds in accommodation fees.

^ Shet, I actually remember you talking about that.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 08-16-2014

(08-16-2014, 10:57 PM)T00DEEPBLUE Wrote: TL;DR: How much you'll enjoy college accommodation really depends on who you're living with.

Yea, that's definitely true, I got lucky and had two awesome roommates, and I roomed with the guy from freshman year for my last two years, and I was fine living in the dorms. My brother on the other hand, his first roommate was okay, but his second roommate was a piece of shit, and was always eating his food without permission and stole shit.