Music Talk Board
The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! (/thread-127.html)

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - carlcockatoo - 08-10-2014

I'd rather taxpayer money go to MTB than the IDF. #2edgy4u

Really though. #Pray4Adam

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - T00DEEPBLUE - 08-10-2014

(08-10-2014, 02:32 PM)carlcockatoo Wrote: I don't know if it's fair to criticise people for signing petitions and 'raising awareness'. Of course 'raising awareness' is often code name for not really doing anything at all and just using issues as a fashion statement. When it comes to people who really are just circlejerking on Tumblr, I think the criticism is valid. But signing petitions and 'raising awareness' (and I mean properly) is better than nothing and I'd encourage everyone to do that. The fact is that most people don't have time to be full time activists and this is what I mean by 'literally everyone can do something'.
I agree with that. I know that people don't have the time to be Superman and save all the world's problems, because of course as adults they have responsibilities of their own. But for people who constantly write about it and use the injustices of the world as ammunition to grow popular, I think it's a fair criticism. I don't think that's too different to the Daily Mail, (or most other papers for that matter) where the only reason they broadcast anything is to sell papers. They do it purely in their own self-interest, not in the interest of the people like how it should be. And to me the 'Social Justice' title in that context is merely a ruse that a lot of people never dare to question because doing so makes you an easy target to strawman.
(08-10-2014, 12:36 PM)Grungie Wrote: That's not what I was trying to get at. You can still be a privileged white person and still feel miserable, I'm talking about the fact that you're a privileged white male, and you're talking to others about being oppression over race. While I'm not saying you can't care, as you should, the issue is when it's pretty obvious that most of them are pretty out of touch with things, like when they try to act like minorities can't succeed in society, and such.
Fair enough, I guess I did take what you said a bit out of context unintentionally. I'm very sensitive to people who make such an argument when out of that context because my parents use such a card to dismiss my feelings and thoughts and I fucking hate it. But that's really my problem and I wouldn't expect anyone to know about it.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 08-10-2014

#pray4adam

Now I can look forward to having a domain name, so it'll look nicer. I could pay to have the ads removed, but most of you have adblock anyway, and it's not like I'm getting money for them either...

(08-10-2014, 03:25 PM)T00DEEPBLUE Wrote: Fair enough, I guess I did take what you said a bit out of context unintentionally. I'm very sensitive to people who make such an argument when out of that context because my parents use such a card to dismiss my feelings and thoughts and I fucking hate it. But that's really my problem and I wouldn't expect anyone to know about it.

Nah it's cool, I know anyone can be miserable. That's why these images exist when all the SJW's try to act like it's impossible for white people to feel like shit:

[Image: white-privelege.jpg]

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - T00DEEPBLUE - 08-10-2014

(08-10-2014, 02:32 PM)carlcockatoo Wrote: So far all I know that we can do is:

1. The basics: Stand up to bad shit when we see it, try to get the people around us to re-evaluate their positions, etc. This is what I'm already doing but I think we can do more.
2. Donate money and needed items. Another obvious one that I admittedly have done enough of. I can't reasonably do a lot though, and too many people think that putting a dollar in a donation jar justifies having fucked attitudes towards the poor. I have the idea of donating every thing I get over the national average towards charity, but I don't expect to make that much. >_> If I'm ever really rich I'll start my own organisations because I have ideas that I think can make modern philanthropy way more effective. This isn't really 'activism' but still.
3. Write politicians/businesses/police/etc: I consider doing this all the time, but with the big issues it feels like there's already 300 other people doing it and I'd be wasting effort by doing it. I should no longer let this be an excuse.
4. Similarly, try to get articles published on the issues that people will actually read (i.e. not 'Tumblr activism'). I write my thoughts on issues down all the time but I never do anything with them because I'm not sure how to do it correctly. Furthermore, conducting real research involves being directly faced with the issues. I'm willing to do that but I don't know how you go about it.
5. Full on protest and shit: I'm not about to just start aimlessly waiving signs around but I'm more than willing to join a meaningful protest next time there's one in my city.
6. Join activists organisations: There are a few based in my city that deal with local issues. The only thing holding me back is I know my parents will disown me if I ever get involved in this stuff.
7. Just tackle issues head on: This is what I'd really like to do but I don't know how. For example, I want to reduce crime in my city. How can I just fight criminal organisations (especially when there's spill over from the Mexican drug war >_>)? Join the police? I'm not happy about police brutality either. Etc. etc. I don't really know what I can do. If I was rich I could do something to create jobs so people don't turn to crime, provide people safe places to go, etc. But even if I'm a stupid rich kid I don't have the personal funds to do any of that.

Discuss.
This is all good stuff. Even though I cannot afford to be a member of a civil rights movement in South America, there has to be effort and sacrifices made in a small way.

I guess that's a good segway to something else somewhat related. Sometimes making even small sacrifices leads to it's own can of worms.

One of the most common sacrifices that people make is through the donation of money, to give a charity the resources needed to further their cause. But the vast majority of charities keep almost all the money to themselves. Only a fraction of a percent of what is donated actually goes towards the cause. The cause is merely a weapon against people's sense of morality to encourage them to give them money.

Which is why I think to help resolve that problem is to enforce a law that makes it mandatory that a minimum percentage of what is donated goes towards the cause that the charity advertises. Something like 50%. It obviously cannot be 100% because the charity does need some money to maintain itself as a business.

I think that if that law was passed, a lot of charities would go bankrupt, but it would probably be unlikely that those 'charities' would've donated anything that meaningful anyway, as the percentage that is donated to the cause is so tiny. I do think that in the long term, the benefits probably would outweigh the loss of these 'charities'.

Then again, that would only solve ONE of the problems that charity systems have. It doesn't solve anything regarding the corrupt politicians keeping the donated money to themselves, rather than to invest it in the people. Which is probably an even greater and perhaps completely unsolvable problem.

But all of these things need to be addressed somehow because charity movements don't require people to be civil rights activists in South America to make a difference. At least not in theory.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - JCizzle - 08-10-2014

I agree, Mac, that it's probably for the best if certain "charities" die off once such a law is passed.

(08-10-2014, 03:27 PM)Grungie Wrote: #pray4adam

Now I can look forward to having a domain name, so it'll look nicer. I could pay to have the ads removed, but most of you have adblock anyway, and it's not like I'm getting money for them either...
I think I already said this, but the only reason I have adblock is because I once got affected with malware that just wouldn't disappear and the only way to hide it was to get adblock :/

I'll take it off for a while and see how things are going.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 08-10-2014

I installed adblock because some websites have annoying popup ads. Also I'm just lazy and leave it on all the time.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - crazysam23 - 08-10-2014

I have adblock, although I turn it off on some sites. For instance, MTB & UG...because I like the site.

I also am forced to turn it off on Hulu, because videos on Hulu won't play with adblock on. :/

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 08-11-2014

Like I mentioned, ads don't really help me on MTB, especially when I have to pay to have them removed.

Though removing the ads do come with the plus that we can post NSFW shit, but the consensus when I mentioned this, was that none of y'all were interested in that.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - crazysam23 - 08-11-2014

(08-11-2014, 12:13 AM)Grungie Wrote: Like I mentioned, ads don't really help me on MTB, especially when I have to pay to have them removed.

Though removing the ads do come with the plus that we can post NSFW shit, but the consensus when I mentioned this, was that none of y'all were interested in that.
Yeah, but I'm too lazy to turn adblock back on. lol

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - JCizzle - 08-11-2014

(08-11-2014, 12:13 AM)Grungie Wrote: Like I mentioned, ads don't really help me on MTB, especially when I have to pay to have them removed.

True. The only real merit is that the domain name will be your own.