Music Talk Board
The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! (/thread-127.html)

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - crazysam23 - 04-29-2014

(04-29-2014, 10:43 PM)Grungie Wrote: Yeah, some people seem to get really butthurt when they find out their favorite whatever isn't the genre they think it is. This isn't just unique to music, there's butthurt that Zelda isn't an RPG and Avatar isn't anime.
And not only is it hilarious, it's also great to "edu-ma-cate" them.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - JCizzle - 04-30-2014

(04-29-2014, 10:43 PM)Grungie Wrote: Yeah, some people seem to get really butthurt when they find out their favorite whatever isn't the genre they think it is. This isn't just unique to music, there's butthurt that Zelda isn't an RPG and Avatar isn't anime.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 04-30-2014

(04-30-2014, 01:58 AM)JoelCarli Wrote: Avatar isn't an anime?

Anime just means Japanese cartoon/animation, so since Avatar is American, that makes it not anime. It's one of those cases where people treat it like a genre when it's not.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - crazysam23 - 04-30-2014

(04-30-2014, 02:13 AM)Grungie Wrote:
(04-30-2014, 01:58 AM)JoelCarli Wrote: Avatar isn't an anime?

Anime just means Japanese cartoon/animation, so since Avatar is American, that makes it not anime. It's one of those cases where people treat it like a genre when it's not.
Yeah, it just "feels" like an Anime. Confusedhrug:

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Danjo - 04-30-2014

What video game classification does Zelda fall under?

And I think the confusion comes in that some genres make no sense. As far as I'm concerned if people are screaming in their music more than 50% of the time it should be screamo. And if more than 50% of all emos listen to your band, your band should be emo. Who names these things?

(04-30-2014, 03:42 AM)Danjo Wrote: What video game classification does Zelda fall under?
Zelda's an action adventure game. RPG's have leveling up and stats, Zelda has none of that.

(04-30-2014, 03:42 AM)Danjo Wrote: And I think the confusion comes in that some genres make no sense. As far as I'm concerned if people are screaming in their music more than 50% of the time it should be screamo. And if more than 50% of all emos listen to your band, your band should be emo.

This logic is retarded, as there's more to it than just "this is emo because emo kids listen to it" that's not how genres work. Especially when typical emo kids don't actually listen to real emo music.

(04-30-2014, 03:10 AM)crazysam23 Wrote: Yeah, it just "feels" like an Anime. Confusedhrug:

Well it's like when you see a mainstream band on a major label listed as Indie rock because they "feel" like Indie, but the fact they're on Columbia Records automatically makes it not Indie. I don't get how the hell The Killers are Indie.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - crazysam23 - 04-30-2014

(04-30-2014, 03:42 AM)Danjo Wrote: And I think the confusion comes in that some genres make no sense. As far as I'm concerned if people are screaming in their music more than 50% of the time it should be screamo. And if more than 50% of all emos listen to your band, your band should be emo. Who names these things?
I disagree with this. Genres are based on common characteristics between bands in those genres. If we don't group bands into genres (and subgenres) based on common characteristics, then it'd all just be a clusterfuck.

(04-30-2014, 03:45 AM)Grungie Wrote:
(04-30-2014, 03:10 AM)crazysam23 Wrote: Yeah, it just "feels" like an Anime. Confusedhrug:

Well it's like when you see a mainstream band on a major label listed as Indie rock because they "feel" like Indie, but the fact they're on Columbia Records automatically makes it not Indie. I don't get how the hell The Killers are Indie.
Good point.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - JCizzle - 04-30-2014

(04-30-2014, 02:13 AM)Grungie Wrote: Anime just means Japanese cartoon/animation, so since Avatar is American, that makes it not anime. It's one of those cases where people treat it like a genre when it's not.
I did not know that. I thought anime was the art style.

(04-30-2014, 04:05 AM)JoelCarli Wrote: I did not know that. I thought anime was the art style.
Well in Japan, anime just means cartoon, so any cartoon is anime in Japanese terminology. There's no Japanese cartoon that isn't considered anime. If it's from America or some other Western country, they just say Western anime. So Japan doesn't really have the argument of whether or not something is anime. Basically anyone who says anime isn't a cartoon is a moron.

The art style generally is just how they draw cartoony stuff, and because its so different from ours, we give it a different label. It's a blanket style, as there's various styles to discuss.

(04-30-2014, 03:54 AM)crazysam23 Wrote: Good point.

Anime and Indie are part of those weird things that are just categories instead of genres, but people tend to treat them as such because there's certain tropes or characteristics unique to it. Because of these unique characteristics, you already have a set image or expectation of it, and it confuses people when they find things that fit the characteristics, but aren't categorized as such, or when you find something that doesn't fit it, but is labeled as such.

It's like what I talked about with shonen manga and how it's associated with DBZ-esque series, and how people are confused when they see very girly schoolgirl comedies or romantic dramas labeled as shonen, or other fighting shows not labeled as shonen.

I'm pretty sure if you read the plot from this new show One Week Friends, you probably wouldn't have known that it shares the same label and target audience as Bleach and DBZ.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Danjo - 04-30-2014

(04-30-2014, 03:54 AM)crazysam23 Wrote: I disagree with this. Genres are based on common characteristics between bands in those genres. If we don't group bands into genres (and subgenres) based on common characteristics, then it'd all just be a clusterfuck.

I'm saying they're already a clusterfuck, and it would make a lot more sense if they were based on actual characteristics instead of kind of arbitrarily being assigned in or not in a genre. I want to know why screamo is not a genre characterized by screaming. And emo is not a genre that emo people listen to.