Music Talk Board
The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! (/thread-127.html)

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 04-15-2014

Well I meant more on the really bias thing, like Pitchfork loves hating on prog and Sputnik community ratings are piss poor where 90% of albums on there have a 3.5/5 at most, and if it's a mainstream/popular band, you'll be lucky to find a 3 rating.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Mr Maps - 04-15-2014

I often don't like music reviews for exactly that reason. When theu don't admit their own biases, they can just become disputing opinions instead of the strengths or weaknesses of an album. Obviously, even they are subjective, but it's when you get an opinion resented as fact it annoys me. Pitchfork are especially bad for that. Bias is impossible to avoid, but it helps to identify your own biases, like say Totalbisuit does for his game videos. It's why I like theneedledrop, because he's fair and reasonable about bais. Plus I think it's easier to get a more qualitative review in videos than in text.

Another thing that annoys me about that 35 year old is a bit hard to describe generally, so I'll just explain what he does. Though it comes off like he has extreme loyalty to things and is really in your face and obnoxious about it.

So we have a forum to discuss individual shows like MTB does with bands, but a bit more organized where we put an image of the show and a description (either self-written or copied off of various websites). So any show that this guy has, is, or is planning on watching, he'll jump in there and post a link to Crunchyroll (streaming site) and Hummingbird (website where you can make a checklist of which shows you've seen and how many episodes you watched). So his first post is pretty much guaranteed to be him posting the Hummingbird description and the Crunchyroll link, and the only exception is when Crunchyroll doesn't have the show and it'll be him bitching about them not having it.

First I got annoyed about it, as he bitched at me for not doing it, but now he just posts the links, so while it is kind of silly, I don't say much on it. Where he's gotten out of hand about it, is in the news forum. The news forum is basically where one guy keeps up with upcoming releases (usually home video releases) and he makes a thread on it, then the admin green lights it and then it gets posted on the blog. Anyway, what I find really obnoxious, is when the thread is about a show being released in the US on home video, and the 35 year old posts "you can watch this on Crunchyroll" then he posts the Crunchyroll and Hummingbird links. Me and the guy who posts the articles were talking about it and even he saw it and thought "whoopty fucking do, you're missing the point". Luckily he's stopped that, so I'm guessing the guy brought it up to him.

To explain further on his extreme loyalty, I'll go further on him with Crunchyroll. So he made a couple of posts about declaring how he's canceled his premium account on it because of streaming issues and how the staff don't seem to be bothered with fixing it. Knowing him it's probably something really petty, but giving benefit of the doubt that it's a legit concern, I'm agreeing with the situation. What I find silly, is how he kept going on about how he's refusing to support the website, but he still visits the site regularly, watches their shows, and even posts on their forum. The only differences is that he doesn't have a premium account and now he uses adblock (despite declaring that anyone who uses adblock is scum of the earth). He's doing a fantastic job of not supporting the website.

I've mentioned this a few times before, but I find it baffling how he refuses to use any other streaming service but Crunchyroll (occasionally Netflix, but he seldom mentions it). I understand his concern about not visiting illegal sites or grey area sites, but he's blowing off any other legal site and official Youtube channels, and the only thing I got out of his reasoning, is that he hates ads. His Youtube stance feel kind of silly, as he won't watch anime on there, but he talked about how he goes on there to watch Smosh, and also how he only uses the PS3 Youtube app, but he can watch anime for hours on Crunchyroll on his browser instead.... There is a Crunchyroll PS3 app, but seeing how you can only use it if you have a premium account, it's clear that his browser is the only way to watch.

I know I'm bitching about this guy a lot, but when you're really active on a forum, and there's only 4 other members that post, and he's really active, you can't really avoid him.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Danjo - 04-15-2014

I think you'd mentioned him and his perplexing hate of advertising and of adblock before.

Well first I was just bitching about his severe hatred at it, but now looking further into it, he's just super devout to Crunchyroll, especially when he apparently has a problem with the website and refuses to support them, but still continues to use the website regularly. There's a few other really pointless things I've seen him have devout loyalty to.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Danjo - 04-15-2014

Its funny because I've never even used that before. People do get weird fixations on things like that though. Like if I have a lot of options for a particular service, and none of them are particularly bad or good, I just pick one randomly and stick to it. If the service was shitty I would probably change though, which this guy doesn't seem to be doing.

Well he was doing this when we were discussing buying games. Someone once said "I was at Target and Dark Souls was on sale, so I snagged a copy" (though it was a different game, but that doesn't matter), the guy responds "I only buy at Game Stop" and I'm just reading that post thinking "your point?".

Then there was a game he was talking about buying off the PSN, and I mentioned it's probably better to buy a physical copy as PS3 game downloads are about 20+ gigs, and he said he would buy physical, but Game Stop's website only has it used. I brought up that I saw it at Walmart and Best Buy last week, and he seemed fixated on only Game Stop.

It's pretty irritating when you're trying to be helpful to someone and they're really anal over their preferences.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Danjo - 04-16-2014

Wow, haha. I dunno, I guess people might just be weird, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if there was something funny going on upstairs there.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Grungie - 04-16-2014

All of this is why I think there's something up with him. He's either just an incredibly goofy person, or there really is something up.

RE: The Venting/Ranting/Hugging Thread! - Mr Maps - 04-16-2014

There probably is something, in some form. It's pretty abnormal (and I mean this in psychological terms, not that he's weird, because that's a whole other can of worms) for a person to be as he is. So it's likely there's something there, it might just be a peculiar upbringing. He might just have difficulty with social skills or expressing himself with words. It's just impossible to tell.